Stopping Mold – Before It Spreads
We’ve all experienced South Carolina’s thick, humid air and the typical side effects that come along with it: fluffy hair, sticky skin, and temperatures feeling substantially hotter than they already are. But, that humidity can also have a more serious side effect… MOLD! Mold thrives on organic materials in damp environments that are between 77°F and 86°F, but it can still grow in temperatures as low as 32°F and as high as 95°F. Since we live in mold’s most desirable conditions, it’s always good to know how to prevent its growth and how to stop any growth from spreading.
To Keep Mold from Growing:
- Keep carpet and/or rugs out of particularly damp rooms (basements, bathrooms, etc.)
- Use a dehumidifier to remove moisture from your home’s air
- If your bathrooms have exhaust fans, be sure to use them while showering
- Have any leaks in your home repaired immediately
- Be sure the foundation of your home has proper drainage to avoid the presence of standing water
- Clean any soap scum or furniture stains immediately so that there are no available nutrients to encourage mold to grow
- Make sure there is air flowing throughout your house (air conditioning, fans, etc.)
- Vacuum and dust often to keep mold spores at bay
- Install a HEPA air filter which can remove mold spores from your home’s air
- Let in natural light since mold tends to thrive in darker environments
The presence of mold is not only unsightly, but it can also have adverse health effects, especially for children and those with allergies. If you notice your home has a bit of mold, don a pair of gloves and a face mask and scrub the affected areas with a bleach and water mixture (about ½ cup of bleach for every quart of water) using a soft brush. Once you have finished scrubbing be sure to completely dry the area to prevent another batch from growing.
It is important to note that mold growing on ceilings and walls should be tested, as it may legally require professional mold remediation services!
If you have serious water damage that you fear will lead to a mold problem, we at Ron’s offer 24/7 water removal services along with our classic carpet and air duct cleaning services. Don’t hesitate to give us a call at (864) 297-6440 or contact us online with any questions or concerns